Sunday, March 23, 2008

Les liaisons dangereuses

In honour of it being a Sunday, and therefore official Do-Nothing-Day (although it is Easter and I have just watched High Fidelity starring John Cusack for the zillionth time), I thought I would create the Top 5 "Best Cinematic Songs to Dedicate to your Cheating or Unfaithful Spouse".

And they are in no particular order, excepting numero uno...

#5 - "Shot You Down" (also known as the Bang, Bang song by many fans of the Kill Bill Vol I and II films by Quentin Tarantino), as sung by Nancy Sinatra in the late 1960s. This song is terribly melancholy in its refrain, more than a little wistful for a simpler time, and always makes me think of the regret I have for not keeping in touch with childhood chums or a sweetheart from long ago. Luckily, I haven't been on the receiving end of said bullet, a la Uma as the "Bride" in the aforementioned film. A terrible 2005 remix of the song by Audio Bullys can be found here.

#4 - "Your Cheatin' Heart" by Hank Williams (and a multitude of other country-western singers over the years). Another simple ditty dedicated to the one you love if h/she has ever had 'tears come down like fallin' rain/You'll toss around and call my name/You'll wa-alk the floor the way I do/Your cheatin' heart will tell on you' A great song from a simply great and underrated American storyteller.

#3 - "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell. A sing-along classic that has been featured time and again in every 80s compilation disc under the sun. You know that if someone is playing this song for you during a round a karaoke, they may be trying to send you some not-so-subtle hints.. 'once I ran to you/Now I run from you/This tainted love you're giving/You gave me all a boy could give me/Take my tears and that's not really ALL!" 5 bonus points to the gentle reader who ever's read into the sexually-transmitted infection inferences found throughout the lyrics to this one...

#2 - "Back Street Affair" by Franz Ferdinand. Some might argue that this little-known ditty, which prior to the Scottish rockers had been covered by everyone from Loretta Lynn to John Prine and Patty Loveless, may not agree with its inclusion in my top-5 list based on its relative obscurity, but with lyrics like "They say I wrecked your home,You're a husband that's gone wrong" and the fact that it is the sole song to allude to the fact that many affairs do in fact turn into happy & fruitful relationships, I include it on the list.

And, finally, my No. 1 worst of the best Cheating songs is.... (drumroll. please.)

YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME, by Bon Jovi!!!!!!!!
This song is voted no. 1 for a multitude of reasons. First, because I love 1980s hair rock and everything to do with the fantastic 1986 B-J album Slippery When Wet like no other. Second, because it is one of the greatest fist-pumping, rock out anthem-songs of the latter part of that decade (excluding Appetite for Destruction by GnR, which I remain true to) Third, although you might disagree with the prominence I accord the song, which alludes to the spite a man shows his former woman who's jilted him for no apparent reason, the factors that led to Jon Bon Jovi writing the song are interesting to say the least. For your viewing pleasure, please find a link to some original concert footage of the song here.

And that's all for today!

No comments: