Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The rest of the Europe trip....

Breakdown of the trip to come, but a recent poem was just itching to get posted:

*NYC|Subway*
[Photo courtesy of Kestan.com]

Dead cat on the pavement
There are cracks in it
I can see the steam escaping
Like breath.

Wicked smells, the sights and sounds
Surround me like a cloud,
Of unfelt whispers.

Lost, I crawl back to you
But you’re not there
I’m lost in a sea of unknowns
A river of rivers
Pools at my feet

I crawl out of sight for you, dear
I melt with the night,
And I disappear

I won't have more fun with you -
never get drunk with you
I'll let you go for good.

A woman nearly slips in a manhole
Her daughters steady
Her unsteady gait

I’d pull it apart for you dear
And for my heart to shift gears
You'll only let me down in the end.
The end.

I'll never go back to you
never shoot smack with you
I'll let you go for good,
For all that's good.
The night sings my song.

That steam keeps rising
Are there really rats in this sewer?

Penn Stn is crawling
Full with passengers of no destination
We look at each other
Spent.

I wait for my heart to shift gears
I come with the night,
I disappear
You don’t know me,
You don’t own me.
You never will.

I'll let you go for good
But not till I’m through with Chelsea.

note: This poem is not reflective of current or past events to do with my relationship, and is just a collection of randomized free verse recollections of three days in August in downtown Manhattan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the lack of smack is by far the saddest part

Jeans with a jacket said...

Haha, merz. In order of importance I would list food, water, and then smack on my basic necessities of life list.